The Building Collapse Prevention Guild said about 36,000 potential collapses are waiting to happen in Lagos State.
According to the President of BCPG, Mr Akinola George, this is because most buildings in Lagos State are not constructed by the people who are properly trained to do so.
He said construction professionals had been reduced to onlookers on the building construction and procurement scene as they participate in less than 20 per cent of the total volume of construction activities going on in the state.
According to him, a survey revealed that over 45,000 sites existed at a time in Lagos State. 20 per cent of these sites translates to 9,000. Hence quacks are responsible for the remaining 80 per cent. A whopping 36,000 potential collapses are waiting to happen.
The BCPG, is an umbrella body of all construction professionals in the country urged the Lagos State Government to pay serious attention to buildings on Lagos Island, Oworoshoki/Bariga, Somolu, Ebute Metta, Mushin, Ajegunle, among others to identify all dangerously standing building.
The group however urged the government to set up a high powered committee comprising government officials and the private sector core professionals which will employ the Lagos State Material Testing Laboratory to check the integrity of buildings in these areas.
The BCPG also recommended urban renewal in certain parts of the state and review of the entire master plan of the state.
They said, It is very important that the Lagos State Government revisit and review the entire Lagos Master Plan; most importantly, it should commence an urban renewal programme for its inner cities that are presently suffering degradation, dilapidation and ruin.
They stated that,Buildings and other developments that do not comply or align with the pattern of the urban renewal master plan should be removed.