Nigeria didn’t reject me in 2008 – Joshua

World heavyweight champion, Anthony Joshua, has debunked reports that he was denied the opportunity to represent Nigeria at the 2008 Olympic Games.

Several reports stated that Joshua, who was virtually unknown then, had reached out to the Nigerian boxing authorities to represent the country at the Beijing Games, but was turned back because he came in late after the trials had been concluded.

The 31-year-old went ahead to represent the Great Britain at the 2012 Olympic Games on home soil, where he won gold medal.

Speaking with The Newsmen in an exclusive interview, Joshua said he couldn’t remember any incident like that taking place.

According to him, just like Britain gave him the opportunity in 2012, he was sure Nigeria would have given him the same if he was interested in flying the country’s flag.

“I honestly can’t remember, I would have represented Nigeria, I represented Great Britain, I had no problem competing for Great Britain at that time, it was easy.

“I am sure Nigeria would have accepted me as well. I don’t think I have any issue, none that I can remember, but definitely I would have competed for Nigeria as well. Nigeria would have definitely opened their arms and supported me for sure,” Joshua told The Newsmen on Tuesday.

The unified world heavyweight champion will defend his titles against Kubrat Pulev at the SSE Arena, Wembley Saturday.

Meanwhile Joshua was able to end his short period in self-isolation on Wednesday morning when his coronavirus test came back negative ahead of his world heavyweight clash with Kubrat Pulev on Saturday.

The 31-year-old entered Matchroom’s bio-secure bubble in London on Tuesday and had to stay in his room for the night before being given the all-clear.

Once Joshua’s test results were confirmed, the WBA, WBO, IBF and IBO belt-holder made his way to the gym to carry on preparations for Saturday’s bout at Wembley’s SSE Arena.

Check Also

NSF 2022: Tragedy As One Athlete Reportedly Dead, Three Hospitalised

A boxing athlete has been reportedly dead during a boxing event which took place at …

Osun Gets New Head Of Service. See His Profile

Osun State Governor, Sen. Ademola Adeleke has approved the appointment of Mr Samuel Ayanleye Aina …

Breaking!!! Governor Adeleke Appoints Aina as Head of Service

Abdulraheem Adekilekun05/12/2022 Osun State Governor, Senator Ademola Adeleke has approved the appointment of Mr. Samuel …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.