on-demand
Home / Covid-19 / China pledges $30m to WHO for coronavirus fight

China pledges $30m to WHO for coronavirus fight

China announced Thursday it will donate another $30 million to the World Health Organization to help in the global fight against the coronavirus pandemic, days after Washington said it would freeze funding.

“China has decided to donate another $30 million in cash to the WHO, in addition to the previous donation of $20 million, to support the global fight against COVID-19 and strengthen developing countries’ health systems,” foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang told a regular press briefing.

He added that China’s contribution to the UN agency “reflects the support and trust of the Chinese government and people for the WHO”.

The US, which is the WHO’s biggest contributor, accused the WHO last week of “mismanaging” the COVID-19 crisis, drawing ire from Beijing as both countries spar over the deadly virus.

In announcing the funding freeze last week, US President Donald Trump accused the WHO of covering up the seriousness of the COVID-19 outbreak in China before it spread.

ALSO READ:  COVID-19: NFF stops all football activities for 4 weeks, including street football

Trump said US taxpayers provided between $400 million and $500 million per year to the WHO, while “in contrast, China contributes roughly $40 million a year and even less”.

AFP.

Check Also

57% Nigerian children don’t have birth certificates – UNICEF

The United Nations Children’s Fund on Monday said about 57 per cent of Nigerian children …

Tribute: Adieu gallant hero, Colonel Dahiru Bako

The news of the demise of Colonel Dahiru Chiroma Bako of 25 Task Force Brigade, …

Breeders sued for illegal farm invasion and malicious damage to crops

The police on Monday arraigned two herders in a Chief Magistrates’ Court, in Iseyin, Oyo …

Leave a Comment

Chat with us whatsapp