on-demand

Emirates airline posts first loss in more than 30 years

Dubai-based Emirates airline on Thursday posted a $3.4 billion half-year loss, its first in more than three decades, saying it had been badly hit by the coronavirus lockdown that brought air transport to “a literal standstill”.

“In this unprecedented situation for the aviation and travel industry, the Emirates Group recorded a half-year loss for the first time in over 30 years,” the airline’s chairman and chief executive, Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum said in a statement.

The airline, which was forced to temporarily suspend operations earlier this year before building back its vast network, saw revenue fall 75 percent to $3.2 billion.

Over the half-year to September, it carried just 1.5 million passengers, down 95 percent from the same period last year.

The carrier, the Middle East’s largest, said that its bottom line found some support with a “strong cargo business” as it repurposed its fleet to accommodate the need for supplies around the globe, including medical equipment.

ALSO READ:  US increases visa requirements for African tourists

“As passenger traffic disappeared, Emirates and (air services arm) dnata have been able to rapidly pivot to serve cargo demand and other pockets of opportunity,” Sheikh Ahmed said.

“This has helped us recover our revenues from zero to 26% of our position at the same time last year.”

Check Also

COVID-19: NYSC shifts camp reopening date, bans religious gatherings

The National Youth Service Corps has banned all forms of religious gatherings on its orientation …

Obuh backs Eaglets for WAFU final

Former Golden Eaglets coach, John Obuh, is confident the national U-17 side will defeat Burkina …

2021 Armed Forces Remembrance: Oyetola lauds fallen heroes, valiant fighters on supreme sacrifice for nation building

… reiterates administration’s commitment to patriots’ welfare, general well-being The Governor of the State of …

Leave a Comment