Some hoodlums on Tuesday allegedly attacked the traditional ruler of Ode community, in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, Oba Sunday Boboye, and also destroyed his palace.
The incident was the second time in one week, as some youths allegedly burnt down the first palace of the monarch last week.
After the attack, Boboye was said to have moved to the second palace, where he was allegedly attacked again on Tuesday.
It was gathered that the attack was not unconnected with a land dispute between Ode and its neighbouring community, Isinigbo.
According to an eyewitness, the hoodlums stormed the Ode community around 12 midnight, shooting continuously while everyone was asleep.
Shortly afterwards, they allegedly moved to the second palace of the traditional ruler where they continued the shooting.
A resident, Ayodeji Agbebi, said the entire community was awoken when the hoodlums entered into the town and opened fire.
He said, “The boys came around past 12 in the midnight and started shooting. They were in this community till about 3am, but later the police came to disperse them. We could not sleep; it was a terrible incident. It was this morning that we saw that the palace had been destroyed.”
The embattled traditional ruler said the attack was an attempt on his life.
He said he and members of his family had to jump over the fence to escape being shot by the hoodlums.
“I want the IGP and other security agencies to order investigation into this matter. This is a clear case of arson, intimidation and attempt to kill me and wipe out my family,” he added.
Boboye linked the attack to a court judgement in his favour over the ownership of land between his community and Isinigbo.
He alleged that he had been attacked more than five times over the judgement, which he got in 2017 from the Court of Appeal.
“I have met with the people concerned over the judgement on the land issue and I gave them some terms, which they agreed to, but later turned back on the conditions.
“Among the conditions is that we asked those who had developed their land to pay N100,000, while those who had not developed their land to pay N150,000, which the parties agreed to, but now they want to take my life,” the monarch said.
The state Police Public Relations Officer, Mr Tee-Leo Ikoro, confirmed the incident, adding that the command had sent men to the community to restore peace.