The hugely anticipated Anthony Joshua versus Tyson Fury fight could take place before next summer, talkSPORT has been told.
The two British heavyweights have a two-fight agreement for 2021, but AJ must first get past IBF mandatory challenge Kubrat Pulev on December 12 to ensure all the belts are on the line and make the Joshua vs Fury bout an undisputed world title fight.
Fury, meanwhile, appears unlikely to fight for the remainder of the year having seen a December 5 bout vs Agit Kabayel fall through and his trilogy with Deontay Wilder in arbitration to determine whether the Gypsy King legally owes the American a third fight.
While there are hurdles still in the way before the all-British bouts can take place, Matchroom Boxing chief Eddie Hearn joined talkSPORT earlier this week and confirmed there will be two fights – one of which is likely to take place outside the United Kingdom.
But when will Joshua and Fury finally meet in a ring to satisfy boxing fans worldwide? Former boxer Spencer Oliver believes the first bout will take place next spring, in either April or May.
And he suggested Joshua could vacate the WBO belt to ensure there are no more hurdles to overcome – notably mandatory challenge Oleksandr Usyk, who is targeting a bout with AJ as soon as possible.
“(Daniel) Dubois was number two for the WBO and the WBO challenger is Oleksandr Usyk,” Oliver told talkSPORT’s Weekend Sports Breakfast. “(Joe) Joyce will probably take that number two position, (after beating Dubois on Saturday night).