Meanwhile, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Mr. Okon Efut, who led the Former Chief Justice of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen’s defense team at today’s judicial proceedings of the Code of Conduct Tribunal, has indicated that the conviction of the former CJN would be appealed at the court of appeal.
Speaking with journalists on the premises of the CCT after the judgment was passed on his client, Efut described the judgment as unconstitutional, adding that it was in breach of the ex-CJN’s right to a fair hearing.
He also said the judgment was premeditated, saying it had been passed as far back as January 23 when the tribunal ordered Onnoghen’s suspension without hearing him.
The CCT, led by Danladi Umar, had earlier convicted Onnoghen on charges of breach of Code of Conduct for public officers by failing to declare five bank accounts containing huge sums of money as part of his assets.
The tribunal ordered as punishment, the removal of Onnoghen as the CJN, chairman of both the National Judicial Council and the Federal Judicial Service Commission.
It also banned him from holding public office for the next 10 years and ordered the forfeiture of the funds in all the five bank accounts he was said to have failed to declare.