Few days after the building collapse that killed at least nine on Lagos Island in Lagos, the state government Friday began the demolition of marked dilapidated buildings in the area.
The state government had earlier earmarked about 140 building for demolition on Lagos Island. 29 of the dilapidated buildings are expected to be demolished today. An eyewitness Abdulazeez Elegushi said the building which housed a primary school and nursery came down without warning on Wednesday and that the three-storey building was marked for demolition last year.
The state governor Akinwunmi Ambode said the government faced opposition by owners of the houses. He said that some of the buildings have been marked for demolition during his visit to the scene of the building collapse.
A shop owner, Adeniyi Afolabi, who lives nearby, gave the name of the school as the Ohen Nursery and Primary and said there were 144 pupils in attendance. But said not all children were at school because of sports activities.
The National Emergency Management Agency, (NEMA) said on Thursday morning nine people were confirmed dead while 37 people were rescued alive.
A spokesman for the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Kehinde Adebayo added that the debris has been cleared. He also added that all those trapped have been evacuated and the rescue operation has ended. He stated that the final casualty figures were still being compiled and would be announced later.