Man Utd’s Cavani investigated by English FA over social media post

Edinson Cavani’s joy at scoring twice for Manchester United on Sunday could be dampened as he is to be investigated by the Football Association over a social media post he subsequently deleted.

The 33-year-old Uruguayan striker sent an Instagram post including the Spanish word “negrito” (‘black’) in reply to a message of congratulations after his brace completed a come-from-behind 3-2 win over Southampton.

United said the word was clearly used in an affectionate manner and has different connotations in South America.

The club said the former Paris Saint Germain forward had been informed such terms are viewed as derogatory in Britain and he subsequently deleted the post.

The FA issued guidelines pre-season clamping down on the racist and discriminatory language and behavior, with offenses on social media carrying a minimum three-game ban.

Manchester City’s Bernardo Silva and Dele Alli of Tottenham were both suspended for one match last season after posts that breached the guidelines.

Check Also

Stop bloodshed in South-East, release ‘Mama Biafra’, Nnamdi Kanu begs

The leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu, has urged that the killings …

Hoodlums attack Oyo sports council chairman over N5m bet loss

The Oyo State Sports Council Chairman, Gbenga Adewusi, has been attacked by suspected hoodlums after …

PDP shifts senatorial primary over disagreement on delegates’ list

The committee conducting the primary election for Peoples Democratic Party in Osun East Senatorial District …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.