Poly management suspends exams as protesting Ogun students block highway

Hundreds of students of the D. S. Adegbenro Polytechnic, Itori, Ogun State, on Wednesday, blocked the Abeokuta-Lagos Expressway in protest.

The protest caused gridlock and left many travellers stranded for hours on the road.

It was gathered that the students were protesting against the management of the institution and also blocked the school gate and prevented lecturers and other workers from entering or exiting the campus.

An eyewitness said that the few lecturers and other staff members, who got to the campus early, were confined to the premises.

“The students didn’t allow anyone to enter, except those who came to the campus early,” the source said.

Another source told Journalists that the students were protesting the inability of some of their colleagues to sit ongoing exams.

The source said the management prevented some students from taking the exams on Tuesday for not meeting up the 75 per cent lecture attendance.

The decision of the management, according to the source, did not go down well with the students, who staged a peaceful protest.

It was learnt that the protest turned violent as the protesters reportedly threatened to attack the police.

The Public Relations Officer of the institution, Yinka Adegbite, confirmed the incident.

Adegbite said the management was making moves to resolve the matter.

But, it was gathered that attempts by the acting Rector to calm the students failed as they ignored his pleas.

They reportedly asked for a particular lecturer, who they claimed prevented them from sitting the exams.

It was gathered that before the students vacated the road, the management agreed to suspend the exams and relax other policies in the interest of peace.

It was also learnt that representatives of the Department of State Services and the police held a marathon meeting with the representatives of the students and the management of the institution to broker peace.

Rising from the meeting, Adegbite told newsmen that the management and the students’ representatives had signed a Memorandum of Understanding.

Adegbite said the issues that led to the protest had been resolved and that the suspended exams would continue on Friday.

He added that the management observed that the protest was hijacked by hoodlums, who made it turn violent.

He stated, “Yes the protest has been halted. Things are under control; the management and the representatives of the students’ body have discussed the issues.

“Controversies were raised and the students have agreed to resume their exams on Friday.

“One of the agreements is that they will retake the exam they could not take on Tuesday.

“The NBTE policy is that students should have up to 75 per cent attendance in order to strengthen their performance.”

Check Also

Ukraine: West has declared ‘total war’ on Russia, says Foreign Minister

Russian Foreign Minister, Sergei Lavrov, on Friday, accused Western countries of waging a “total war” …

Ex-lawmaker Bassey Otu wins Cross River APC gov ticket

A former lawmaker who represented Cross River South Senatorial District, Bassey Otu, has won the …

Uba Sani beats Buhari’s in-law, picks Kaduna APC gov ticket

The Senator representing Kaduna Central, Uba Sani has emerged as the governorship candidate of the …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.