Akinola Owolabi born 49 years ago in Ora-Igbomina where he had his elementary education. He graduated from the Secondary Commercial Student Grammar School, Ora-Igbomina in 1985. He had a Certificate in Broadcast News Writing and Reporting at the Nigeria Institute of Journalism, Ogba, Lagos in 1994. His Diploma in Journalism from the International Institute of Journalism, Abuja was in 1997.
Between 1988 and 1991 Academic Sessions, he won the University Undergraduate Scholarship (University Scholar) Awards twice and in 1991, as the best graduating student in his Department, he bagged his B.A (Ed) (Hons) English Language from the University of Ilorin, Ilorin.
From the University of Ibadan, he had his M.A in Communication and Language Arts between 1997-1999.
From 1991 to 1992, he had his National Youth Service Corp (NYSC) experience at Ahmadu Bello University, Samaru, Zaria.
His professional awards include:
- Best Broadcast Journalist for the year 2002, Awarded by the Nigeria Union of Journalist, Osun State Council. 2002;
- Current Affairs Officers of the Year, Awarded by the Nigeria Union of Journalist, OSBC Chapel in 2002/2003 and 2004;
To have other training experiences, he attended the following:
- U.S Consulate-General, Lagos on ‘Best Journalism Practices in the Digital Age: Enhancing Reporting Skills’ in 2003;
- National Broadcasting, NBC, in Collaboration with broadcasting Organization of Nigeria, BON on “Political Broadcast” in 2011;
- International Republican Institute (IRI): “Training in Election Coverage” in 2010;
- BBC World Service Trust: “Training in Election Reporting” in 2002;
- Nigerian Press Council training on “Media and Democracy” in 2000;
His work history include:
- Rising through the ranks, he served as the Governor’s Office Correspondent (1993-1995); as Editor I (1995); as Senior Editor (1999); as Principal Editor (2002); as Assistant Chief Editor (2005); as Chief Editor (2011); as Assistant Director (2011) till he became the Acting Deputy Director (News), Osun State Broadcasting Corporation (OSBC), Osogbo in 2013.
- Before joining the service of OSBC, he was a Part-Time Lecturer at the Ahmadu Bello University, A.B.U, Zaria in 1992.
- His other work experiences include:
- Member, Osun State Task Force on Petroleum Products (1998-1999);
- Member, Osun Committee on Avian Influenza (2007);
- Member, Osun State Broadcasting Corporation’s Staff School Management (2010-2014).
His professional activities over the years include:
- He conducted series of media interviews with Leading Personalities across different Sectors of the Nigerian professional callings;
- He wrote Series of News Analysis and Commentaries on Current/Contemporary issues some of which are cited in Scholarly Works e.g by Dr. A.A Idowu of the Faculty of Law, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife in “Legislative Functions, Procedures and Administration in Nigeria” – 2003;
- He was the official reporter covering the 2006 Holy Pilgrimage to Israel and Egypt.
His publications include books, articles in journals and titles of thesis and dissertations:
- “The Nigerian State, Political Assassination and Democratic Consolidation: A Historical Exploration” in African Journal of Political Science, 2009;
- “Founder and Father of Modern Ejigbo: A Biography of Oba Omowonuola Oyeyode Oyesosin II” January (2008);
- “A Lady by Birth: A Biography of Lady Evangelist Betty Bakare“ (March 2009);
- “The Role of English Language in the Multi-Lingua Nigerian Society” The Phoenix – Journal of the National Association of the Language and Literature, University of Ilorin Branch (1990);
- “A Critical Appraisal of Sophistic Method of Education and its Influence on Nigerian Educational System” The Pedagogue – Journal of the National Union of Education Students Association, NUESA, University of Ilorin Chapter 1991;
- “MAMSER as an Agency of Education: Its Contributions to the Educational and Socio-Economic Lives of the People of Ila Local Government Area, Oyo State” Research Project Submitted to the Department of Educational Foundation University of Ilorin, 1991, for the Award of B.A (ED) Hons;
- “A Critical Appraisal of Elements of Communication in Ifa Divination System And its Literary Corpus in Yorubaland” A Dissertation Submitted to the Department of Communication and Languages Arts, University of Ibadan for the Award of M.A Degree – 2000.