Wimbledon Lifts Ban On Russian And Belarusian Tennis Players

Wimbledon has lifted a ban on Russian and Belarusian players, allowing them to compete in the grass-court Grand Slam this year as “neutral” athletes, in a climbdown from its response to Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine in 2022.

Players from the two countries will be able to compete in the July tournament if they comply with certain conditions. These include refraining from expressing support for the invasion and not receiving government funding from their respective countries.
Competitors also cannot get sponsorships from state-operated or state-controlled companies, the All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC), which runs Wimbledon, said in a statement on Friday. The same conditions will apply for other British tournaments.

“We continue to condemn totally Russia’s illegal invasion, and our wholehearted support remains with the people of Ukraine,” club Chairman Ian Hewitt said.

“This was an incredibly difficult decision, not taken lightly or without a great deal of consideration for those who will be impacted,” he said. “It is our view that, considering all factors, these are the most appropriate arrangements for the championships for this year.”

Last year, Wimbledon banned players from Russia and Moscow-allied Belarus after the invasion of Ukraine, saying it was the only viable option under the guidance provided by the British government.

Wimbledon and the Lawn Tennis Association (LTA), the governing body for the game in the UK, were heavily penalised after imposing the tough sanctions last year. Both bodies were fined, and Wimbledon was stripped of ranking points.

The tournament said this year’s conditions had been developed through dialogue with the government.

Check Also

Zlatan Ibrahimovic Retires From Football At 41

Zlatan Ibrahimovic announced his retirement from football on Sunday after AC Milan’s final match of …

Tinubu Commiserates With India Over Deadly Train Crash

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has sent a message of commiseration to the government and people …

UN, AU Call For Calm As Death Toll In Senegal Violence Rises

People put out burning barricades that were set on fire by supporters of Senegal opposition …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *